Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The wind blows onto the coast
of a small town set in Down East Maine.
The sun shines on the back of a fisherman
soon to disappear.
The rocking increases on a boat
Slowly and steadily the weather worsens sending most seagoers home.

All boaters in the bay wonder to stay out or go home.
Soon they will have to decide for it is unpredictable on the rugged coast.
Waves will threaten to capsize their boats.
Beauty and danger both reside in maine.
All but two boats disappear
from the harbor that houses the two fishermen

The wind blows strong and steady on the fishermen.
One stays, one goes home.
The new-come rain makes the boat disappear
from onlookers sight that are on the shore of the coast.
The storm worsens battering the scurvy shore of Maine
The man is soon to be lost at sea, along with his boat.    

The storm holds steady, pounding on the unsteady boat.
The wind jostles and rocks the ill fated fisherman,
threatening to blow him overboard in the cold seas of Maine.
His family worries and waits for him to come home.
They attempt to lookout at the coast
but they see that the storm has made it from their sight, disappear. 

They think of all the possibilities, all concluding that he has disappeared.
They have faith in his steady and sturdy boat.
They hope he returns safely to the coast
the next morning, like an experienced fisherman.
They only can hope that he returns home.
they decide to wait for the next morning in Maine.

They look out on the horizon of Maine.
Now the storm has disappeared.
They see him headed home.
His family is so glad to see him and his boat.
They praise the homecoming fisherman
All is calm and a peaceful sky covers the coast.

The fear leaves the that town on coast of maine
The storm disappeared
and the fisherman along with his boat return home.  


-Hayden

6 comments:

  1. This was really pretty! It reminded me of my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm Tasha. I really enjoyed your poem and thought that it was very well written. I liked how the last line was explaining that the fisherman had returned home. Your writing was also very detailed and descriptive which makes it more interesting for the reader to read. I would recommend making different word choices throughout your poem, like instead of saying disappeared you could say vanished the next time. But overall i really enjoyed reading your poem. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi hayden, my name is deanna, i was wondering what inspired you o write this poem? have you ever been boating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hayden. My name is Geni and I am from Alberta. I am 14 and in Gr.9. Your peom was very well written and had lots of detail. Do you live by the water? If you do do you have a boat and go out on the water? I really wish I lived on the water and got to go on the boats and into the sea! It would just be so nice to have that ocean smell in the air. Anyways, thanks for the chance to comment on your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the compliments Tasha. I will take your advice into consideration. Also to answer you questions Deanna and Geni, I live in coastal Maine so I do spend most of my time on the water. I also have a boat that I go lobster fishing in, like the person in my poem. I have 300 lobster traps and I fish 6 days a week in the summer. It's Hard work but it is pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, my name is Sophie and I live in Illinois. I have been to Maine once, and it is incredible, the ocean, the food, the breeze, the views. Your so lucky to live there! In this poem, did you make up the story, have you seen it, or has it happened to you? You mentioned lobsters, do you sell them? If you do, that's a great way to make money, so great idea. Your poem was great and really painted a picture in my head, I could see it happening. It kind of reminded me of a story called The Old Man and The Sea. Have you ever read it?

    ReplyDelete